ADD: Boy, 2, electrocuted to death after putting metal spoon into extension plug

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcyakpc6k4wplbn/VRP13393.mp4?dl=0

Pictures: FTP

Added: quote from electricity company in Manila reacting to the death. Tribute from boy’s uncle.

A two-year-old boy was electrocuted to death after putting a metal spoon into an extension plug while playing.

Jake Angara, who had celebrated his second birthday this month, wandered in the kitchen while his mother was cooking in the Quezon City area of Manila, the Philippines on February 19.

While Jake’s mother, Eloisa, 25, had her back turned preparing dinner, the infant reached for a spoon on the kitchen counter that was used to stir his milk.

Jake walked away with it – believing it was a toy – and went to his bedroom upstairs. His older sister, aged four, was also in the house at the time but was not with him.

Tragically, while the curious toddler was playing alone he then put the end of the metal spoon into an extension cable power adaptor that was used to plug in TV set.

It was turned on at the time and immediately electrocuted the infant.

Eloisa rushed to the bedroom after hearing a loud bang and found the boy collapsed on the floor with burns on his hands.

Eloisa and her husband, who was also in the house when it happened but in another room, turned off the power and rushed their son to the hospital as he was still breathing after the incident.

The medics, upon arrival at the hospital, tried to revive Jake without success and he was pronounced dead.

Heartbroken mother Eloisa, a housewife, said she regrets leaving her son alone in the room while she cooked.

She said: ‘I don’t know how I can move on now. My son was too young to die.’

The boy’s grieving father, Jack, said: ‘It’s still hard to accept my child is gone. To us it’s so hard I still can’t believe my Jake who was so lively is gone. I miss him so much.

‘People said we looked alike, we were so very close. I can’t imagine going home without my boy in the house. I can’t imagine him not coming to me whenever I go home from work and asking me for treats. If I have the power to bring back the time I would have taken care of him.

‘I’m heartbroken when I wake up in the morning without him.’

The boy was taken to the morgue for funeral arrangements and is expected to be buried this week.

His uncle, Mharc (corr), said: ‘There have been so many messages of support from people. We’re thankful for those. Nobody can believe it happened. I’m still struggling to imagine life without Jake.’

Manila Electric Company Spokesman Meralco Joe Zaldiarriaga said the death was an accident and encouraged parents to ‘child proof’ extension cables.

He added: ‘There will be accidents if the power outlets are not secured. Try to keep children away from the outlets or power extensions. There are safety devices to make the outlets child-proof but make sure that these are high quality and consult an electrician before doing anything related to electrical safety in your homes.’