Girl, 11, dies of pregnancy complications ‘after being raped by grandfather’


An 11-year-old Thai girl allegedly raped by her grandfather died after suffering pregnancy complications.

Primary school student Nichanan Srida Kaew had an ectopic pregnancy, a life-threatening condition where the fertilised egg grows outside the uterus.

The young girl died inside her family’s house in Kalasin province on January 14 evening after the sensitive condition caused severe bleeding. She was around eight weeks pregnant due to the alleged rape by her pensioner relative.

Nichanan’s grieving mother, Yupin, said she has cut off contact with her father, who has been arrested for alleged rape.

Yupin said she noticed her daughter was behaving strangely in late November.

She said: ‘My daughter appeared depressed and sad all the time. I did not know what to do. I thought she was sick.’

Aside from her depression, the girl was often vomiting and complained that her vagina was painful so her mother took her to the hospital.

She was taken for a medical test on December 6 when doctors found she was having an abnormal pregnancy.

The shocked mother made the girl explain what had happened and she claimed that her grandfather raped her twice at the start of November. She then missed her period and fell pregnant.

Yupin reported the incident to the Sahatsakan Provincial Police Station but the suspect, Prayoon Srida Kaew, 66, was only arrested a day after the girl’s death on January 15.

However, the grandfather denied the allegations and said that he adored the girl and would not do anything to harm her.

Police Colonel Vichai Tongkham said: ‘The grandfather denies any wrongdoing and says he loved his grandchild.

‘We have all the evidence that points to rape, particularly the child’s statement. There will be further interrogations of the grandfather.’

The girl’s body was sent to the Srinakarin Hospital in Khon Kaen Province for a post-mortem examination to record medical findings.

Police Colonel Vichai Tongkham said that Prayoon will be detained at the police station while investigations are ongoing.