Filipino student nearly burnt in science experiment gone wrong

A student was almost injured after the science experiment they were conducting for class failed.

Jhestin Nolly Bacalso Pitogo said he and his group were working on their chemistry assignment in Bukidnon province, the Philippines on April 20. Video shows Jhestin’s classmate, Joseph, holding a bubbly mixture of butane and dishwashing liquid, which burst into flames in his hand after being lit.

Jhestin said: ‘We thought we were going to get burned. Online learning is really difficult because there is no personal guidance from the teacher. Fortunately, none of us were hurt.’

Most schools in the Philippines remain closed due to Covid-19. However, the Philippine Department of Education said around 59 schools in low-risk areas in the country will undergo a test run of in-person classes starting November 15. The conduct of onsite classes may expand depending on the results of the study.