Microwaved egg explodes in man’s face while he eats breakfast in China


This is the moment a microwaved egg exploded on a man as he was having breakfast in eastern China.

CCTV footage taken in Xuzhou City, Jiangsu province on November 28 shows the customer named Yang digging into his meal when it exploded and covered him in bits of egg. He called restaurant staff for assistance while wiping himself off with a napkin.

Yang said he was embarrassed by the incident, but was grateful he was not injured. He added that people should not heat up eggs using microwaves.

Scientists believe that reheating hard-boiled eggs inside a microwave superheats pockets of water inside its yolk. Without room to expand inside the eggshell, the unstable water spontaneously boils and releases energy when the egg is cracked open.