Laundry hung out to dry catches fire from ‘discarded cigarette butt’ in China

A blanket that had been hung out to dry caught fire allegedly due to a discarded lit cigarette butt in eastern China.

Video taken in Wuhu City, Anhui province on November 29 shows officers dousing a smoking blanket using buckets of water. The family who owned the burning laundry was reportedly not home at the time, so the firefighters had to pour the water from two floors above.

A lit cigarette butt thrown from the building’s higher floors is believed to have caused the fire.